Thursday, November 4, 2010

Preparing to teach for the first time

Today I had my social studies talk with five students from my classroom. I had my science talk with five different students last week so I was a little more prepared on how I wanted to conduct my interview. I looked back at the things that went well and stuck to them and changed the things that could have gone better. Before i started my social studies interview I wanted to let the students know that I was going to be teaching to them next week to give them a heads up. I wanted to be honest with them and get to know me a little better so I told them straight up that I was nervous about teaching to them and asked them if they had any tips for me. They were all telling me how if people weren't listening to me that I should write their name up on the board and if they continued to be disruptive or were still not listening that I should put checks by their name, which if they get two then they will not get the snack that my CT brings for the students every day. They then told me that if they are being extra bad that I should send them to the principals office and I told them that I hope that won't happen. The students were telling me how they can get kind of crazy and wild when a sub was there and I told them that's EXACTLY what I was worried about! That when I teach they are all going to go crazy and not listen to me or do what they are supposed to. They told me that they don't like subs that much because they don't know them at all. They said that when I teach it will be a little different because I know them and they know a little bit about me. I come to their classroom and help them with their writing and math and know a little bit about each one of them. I then asked them if they were excited about me teaching and they all agreed that they were excited. I told them that we were going to do some fun things, and they seemed interested which made me feel really happy. I am so happy that I had this small conversation with my students because I feel a lot better about teaching to them next week. I recommend all the TE 401 students who are going to be teaching their first lesson soon to just talk to your students and be honest that you are feeling a little nervous. They will give you a little confidence and tell you all the inside stuff about the classroom and the students in it. I am now very excited to teach to this group of students and can't wait to see how they are going to react to me teaching to them next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment