Friday, November 5, 2010

ELMO Projector

What I decided to explore this week as my technology of choice was the ELMO projector. I saw my CT use it for the first time in her classroom last week Thursday. I noticed on the first day I was in her classroom that she had one and was interested to see how much she would use it because from my research this week I would use it all the time. She used it to show the students a worksheet that she handed out to them and what they needed to do to complete it. I have noticed that my CT last year also had an ELMO and used to put a worksheet up there and it would be displayed on the whiteboard at the front of the room where the students could come up and do the problem on the whiteboard without actually writing on the piece of paper. I have also seen an ELMO used to read to a bunch of students who were sitting at their desks so they could see the pictures better and follow along reading with the teach. By seeing the ELMO used in these ways I was curious what other ways you can use an ELMO. I discovered a fantastic website that has "100 ideas for data projectors and Document Cameras" which is the category an ELMO falls under. The things that I have seen an ELMO used for were on there, such as Read-aloud and whole class participation in a practice state test, which is what my past CT used it for. There were also some interesting ways to use the ELMO, for example modeling of the physical process of writing - hand movements, which would be very beneficial for the third grade classroom that I'm in that have been learning cursive, magnifying insects needed for a science lesson and highlighting good vs bad grammar in writing. These are just a few ways I discovered that an ELMO can be useful in a classroom setting. The ELMO could be used in any age group and in all different subjects. It is better than the old projector that I was used to seeing when I was in school. I hope I can get one of these in my classroom in the future.

http://www.umesd.k12.or.us/techlinks_100ideas (here's the website I talked about in my post)

1 comment:

  1. Great post i am interested in what the cost of an ELMO projector. Sorry for commenting so late. Is this something that a lot of schools budget for or is this something relatively new and less known about.

    ReplyDelete