Friday, September 30, 2011

September Ideas/Techniques

I thought that this blog would be more of a reflection blog. I was expecting that I would write on here every week or multiple times a week with good ideas and things I have done, but I already have to write a reflection for my Field Instructor every week, so i figured this blog would be a great way to write down ideas, stuff my teacher does or things i see in my classroom that I want to remember for the future. I do want to say thought that I love my MT. I honestly think I have the best MT in the MSU program. She values my opinion, really lets me get involved in the classroom and sees this year as a partnership, instead of her teaching and me off to the side doing little random things.
So here are my ideas and things I have seen thus far,

Buddy Venn's- Venn diagram, but you do with two students. Find out about each other and your similarities and differences.
Model! Model! Model!- model everything that you do. Even things as simple as giving the teacher a folder, putting a book in their mailbox and sitting at your seat. Do problems together first before having students do them on their own. Play a new game in front of the class first before having students do it themselves. Model everything.
Positive Reinforcement-it's better to point out those students that are doing what they are supposed to be doing, instead of yelling at those that are not doing what they are not supposed to be doing. Stay positive. Don't focus on the negatives.
Comfy spots- Let the students find spaces around the room where they can read. Not everyone likes to sit in a chair and read. Some people like to lay on their stomachs or lean against something. Having pillows, blankets, rugs and beanbags for students to sit on and use to make them more comfortable. If students are comfortable, they will most likely do more reading.
Make lots and lots of anchor charts- make charts and lists for everything you talk about. Not only is it a way for students who learn by reading or seeing, because not all students learn through listening, it also can be referred back to at any time.
Behavior chart- Green, Blue, Yellow, Red. Blue is a warning, yellow is a 10 minute timeout, Red is lunch detention and a call or note home to parents. Students have the ability to move back a color at the end of the day if they change their behavior. Make sure parents know what color they end up on every day, so they know what their behavior is like in the classroom.
Sending home positive notes- Parents love to hear about good things that are happening with their students. It will make it easier to tell them about the bad things going on in class, and the students themselves know if they have this note in their folders that they had a great day. They feel proud that they had a good day and this is something they want to show their parents.
Sending work home on Fridays- This way you get all your grading done and you have nothing to take home on the weekend and students leave their work at home instead of cluttering up the classroom.
Hands-on Science lessons!- When students are doing hands on things they are getting involved in the lesson and they are more engaged. I also learned that they learn the concepts and remember them better. When students get involved and work with manipulatives they do more learning.

Alright, this is what I have seen so far, but there is definatly going to be more things, especially in the up coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment