Saturday, September 10, 2011

First Full Day

Yesterday was our first full day of school and I thought it was a great day! The students are slowly starting to get used to the routines and expectations for the school and the classroom. One thing my CT emphasized was practice. If students were not following the correct procedures, like how we should act in the hallway while walking to a special or to lunch then they need to take a seat on one of the benches in the hallway or stay against the wall and then they will practice again so they know how they should act in these certain situations. This way students are reminded how they need to act as well as they are learning the consequences that if they cannot act the correct way then they will miss out on some gym time or will be the last ones in line to get a lunch. I really liked this technique that my CT uses because you are not constantly yelling at the students and it is looking at a problem in a more positive way. I also saw how CHAMPs (conversation, help, activity, movement, participation) is used in the classroom today and can really see how it can be beneficially in the classroom. Once again if students are not following directions then instead of yelling at the students you can refer them to the champs board and remind them what it says and what they should be doing. I really like how my CT tries to stay positive and not yell at the students or say 'Stop doing this", "No talking" or other negative comments. We also started Readers Workshop and are beginning to introduce to the students what they should be doing during this time and getting them used to reading for a long period of time, which we will slowly increase every day. We also did a small math assessment as well as another spelling assessment to see where the students are at in those areas. The only problem I have seen with the students are sitting at tables is that they can easily cheat off each other, and not just to the person sitting next to them, but anyone at their table. My CT noticed when she did a math and spelling assessment on Thursday that she suspected students of cheating because their papers were really inconsistent. I cannot wait to get back into the classroom and to start doing some teaching and leading because my only worry is that the students are not seeing me as an authoritative figure and more of a helper/friend. I want to be friendly towards the students, but I want them to still listen to me and follow directions/rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment