Friday, October 8, 2010

Google Earth

This week I was able to explore a new technology, which I chose Google Earth. I have heard a lot about it and its features, but I have not had the chance to experiment with it until this week. I've seen my friends use it a few years ago  to find their homes or random landmarks and from what I observed it look confusing. This initially turned me off to Google Earth until I discovered how to use it this week. It is really easy to use and there are so many cool features to it! If you are in a state or area and you are looking for a golf course or a restuarant you can use Google Earth to find these things just with the click of a button. It also can be used to see diffferent places in the world that you have never seen or maybe will never experience. You can look at these places at a birds eye view or if possible go down to a level like you are walking on the ground! This can be a really cool way for students to experince the world instead of just looking at pictures in a book or atlas. Students can start of simple by looking up their homes or their favorite places in their town and through more time and working with Google Earth they can start to see things around the world. I am focusing in Math and Geography and if I were to teach middle school geography or geography in upper elementary I would let the students use Google Earth to show them the places they have been and the places they can go.

No comments:

Post a Comment