Sunday, October 3, 2010

Copyright


Photo Attribution
Original Image: "Cinderella's Castle"
by: Devin Mulville
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mulvill2/5046309074/in/photostream/
Released Under an Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike License
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

This is a photo I took over the summer when I went to Disney World with my cousins, aunts, uncles and grandparents. This photo is licensed with Creative Commons. I did not know much about Creative Commons or copyrighting until my CEP 416 class. I have always seen the CC with a circle around it symbol and I thought it was like a trademark, so no one else could use it or copy it. Through this class I have discovered that Creative Commons has different types of licenses, such as allowing people to sell it or not, allowing people to change it or not and making sure someone gives you credit for your work. It makes it really easy for someone to create any type of restrictions they choose to put on their video, picture, music etc... I have found it to be very convenient because I can allow people to change my picture, but they are not allowed to sell it without my permission. The only drawback I have found with Creative Commons and copyrighting is when you have to cite whatever it is you are using. If you look at the citation below the picture, there is a lot for someone to have to type or write out to make sure it is cited properly. It is a necessary process though to give credit where credit is due and I am sure once I get used to citing different things it will become a faster and easier process.

No comments:

Post a Comment